Contributed by Raymond L. Rosales, MD, PhD
AOPMC Scientific Program Committee Chair
Manila, Philippines, a bustling and diverse city of 15 million people, will be the location for the 5th Asian and Oceanian Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders Congress (AOPMC) on March 11-13, 2016, held at the Marriott Grand Ballroom located at the Marriott Hotel Manila.
The Scientific Program promises to be of high impact having nearly 50 worldwide faculty, showcasing the faculty from the AOS region. March 11th, the first day of the AOPMC will be dedicated to industry symposia. Concluding this day will be the Opening Ceremony of the 5th AOPMC.
On March 12, the International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society (MDS) President Oscar Gershanik will present the opening keynote address on “Psychogenic Movement Disorders,” as a part of the Plenary session “Basal Ganglia Circuitry and Receptors: New Developments in Understanding Movement Disorders.” This day will close with a Video Tournament which promises to be a festive event hosted by Janis Miyasaki and Victor Fung.
The March 13th Plenary will commence with MDS-AOS Lectureship Awards, the Philip Thompson and Yoshikuni Mizuno Lectureships. The Philip Thompson Lectureship Award was created to recognize an out outstanding contribution in clinical sciences. This year’s Philip Thompson Lectureship will be presented to Lillian Lee. The Yoshikuni Mizuno Lectureship Award was created to recognize an outstanding contribution in the field of neurosciences from the AOS region, with this year’s Lectureship going to Eng-King Tan.
The two-day Scientific Program will include the following topics:
- Phenotype/Genotype in Movement Disorders
- How to Engage in Clinical Trials for Movement Disorders
- Management of Common and Intractable Cervical Dystonia
- Hyperkinetic Movement Disorders: The Common, The Rare, and The Traps
- Spasticity, Plasticity and Botunlinum Toxin Therapy – the Word Gets Around
- Appreciating Hyperkinetic Movements Based on their Pathomechanism
- Hot Topics in Parkinson’s Disease: Non-Motor Symptoms
- Care in Parkinson’s Disease
- Neurobehavioral Impairment in Parkinson’s Disease
- Manifesting Movement Disorders in Neuromuscular Disease
- Atypical Parkinsonism
- Neuromodulation in Parkinson’s Disease and Other Movement Disorders: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- Sleep Disturbances in Parkinson’s Disease and Other Movement Disorders
- Subclinical Parkinson’s Disease: Past, Present and Future
The 11th Asian Pacific Parkinson Association (APPA) meeting will run concurrently with the 5th AOPMC on March 13, 2016. This meeting is specifically designed for people living with Parkinson’s. Among the topics to be covered are:
- Parkinson’s Disease: The General Picture
- Special Issues in Parkinson’s Disease (gait, and balance, sleep, memory, depression and anxiety)
- Accepting and Coping with Parkinson’s Disease
- Practical Issues in Parkinson’s Disease (nutrition, exercise, speech therapy, home modifications, palliative care)
The 5th AOPMC planning committees would like to acknowledge Ipsen, H. Lundbeck, Medtronic, and UCB for their generous support of this program. The Philippine Department of Interior and Local Government and the Philippine Department of Tourism welcome the 5th AOPMC, ensure attendees' safety, expressing to everyone: “It’s More Fun in the Philippines.”